Monday, June 18, 2012

Be back in a week!

I am heading out of town in the morning to come back to Virginia Beach for a little while. But before I head out of town, just wanted to get one more post in.

Since I arrived here, I think I have only missed a handful of sunsets, and I don't see that changing. Every night I go outside and sit in the yard with Cheyenne and listen to the sounds around me. Lately the sounds have gotten pretty noisy with the cicadas chirping persistently around, however its kinda nice after a while you get used to it, and almost become a mantra or a chant and literally will make you lose track of time. A few nights ago, I was out there for over three hours (and boy did my back feel it later) laying on the picnic table counting passing satellites. The temperature was awesome, and if it weren't for the bugs and the later back ache, I would have stayed out all night. (Plan to soon actually)

The Goats are still a little shy, but now when I feed them I put the food in one hand and my other above it (almost like I'm clapping, but not) then while they are munching away in the one hand, I can reach over a bit and give them a scratch around the ears... sly I know.

Did I mention, I dig the Arkansas sunset? Just wish I had a someone here to share it with (other than Cheyenne and the goats and chickens...lol)

Got a bit further than this in the construction of the newest house.. "oh look, looks like the other buildings I have built... how original". My theory, if it works the first time, keep doing it, so back off! And tell me when have you built three houses in a matter of months? Oh you haven't eh? OK then! :P This time around I went with an exposed frame construction to save even more on wood. Plus we had a whole bunch of 1"x2"x 40"(somethings) so I started to cut them up and made them the walls of this particular project... again, total cost of this project... $0.00!! Waaaahooo!!!! (even the back wall, which is a window) was just laying around the property. Also I have made this building special. Over the summer time, it can be used as a playhouse for the 2 yr old. Over the winter time, early spring- it can be converted to a full out greenhouse, just remove the single piece of roof and add a clear plastic roof instead and boom! GREENHOUSE! Multiple use building. I tell ya, what will I think of next?

For those wondering about the orchard... some of it is doing alright, but was surprised when I found this new growth on the "fruit Cocktail" tree... earlier it looked a lot like a stick and was about to give up hope on the thing.

Here is a very friendly bug that had no problems crawling all over me. Even when I put him down once, he crawled back on, so I gave in... and took some pictures. Its cool though, its natural camouflage looks strikingly like a leaf, even had the vein pattern of a leaf in the wing. Pretty sly creature, however; if my chickens ever find him, I don't think they would care if its a bug or a leaf, if it moves, it'll get pecked at the least!

Found some of the smaller chicks bullying the guineas... they must be at the bottom of the pecking order. It doesn't pay to be a bully! Everyone needs to just get along! :) (don't worry, I removed them)

The water is really low, because it hasn't rained in an extremely long time, and even longer before that! But it is still nice to dive in and float about on the river that flows through the property. It has been a while since I have been down there and had to bushwhack my way to the area that is easily accessible to the water. (only pulled off a whopping three ticks!...lol)  So it felt great to dive... I mean, wade into the shallow cool pool of cow poop infested water! Oh yeah, totally walked up river (because the water is so low) and saw my third copperhead snake today! This one was swimming... away from me, which was great, because I would have peed my shorts if he was swimming towards me.

One of the original Carrots that I seeded at the beginning of the sowing season.... yup.. its small.. but it was tasty!


Good luck farm, good luck farm animals, good luck Cheyenne! See you guys again soon! For now, its time to go see some other friends... be back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate feedback! Thank you for reading!

~Big Dave!