Sunday, April 29, 2012

Update on the chicks and random farm photos!

One Perched! I had given up trying to see that tonight...
So far, all of our little chicks are doing very well. The first few days have been nothing but a blast. I am trying to make them really used to being handled and hopefully one day they will come when called. We shall see.  I went out to get some shots of the chicks and to show off my brand new perch I put in the brooder, but couldn't get any of the chicks to even go near the perch so I was just about to give up and leave (I already had the camera put away) then one of the little chicks suddenly hopped on. I was able to get my camera out and clicked one photo before the little gal decided she wanted off.
1 of 4 wheel barrel loads of rock I pulled out today

 Today I am just working out in the garden till whenever, doing the little things to keep it somewhat healthy, so basically just watering, and the never ending weeding and pulling tons of rock out.

Few more Wheel barrel loads, and it'll be rocken! (get it?)


Cornish Hens are getting bigger than their brood mates!

Snapshot of the entire flock!


No, seriously, there is a garden in there... seriously, no really.

My new "Potato Box" experiment
Already have growth on day 2 of the Potato Box
The farm and feed store were giving away unsold seed potatoes, so I got a fifty pound bag. There was an existing 4'x4' wood box on the property so I grabbed it and put potatoes right on the ground (I worked the ground a bit) and threw dirt on it. Only cost of this side project for more potatoes is the dirt, which is $1.24 a bag right now, and it only took six to cover them up and put a few inches of soil over them. As they grow, (just like the tire idea) I am going to add more dirt, and maybe even another box and I hope to have so many potatoes by harvest time, I will not be able to eat them all! 
Tonight's sunset




The chicks were quick to start giving me mulch and fertilizer!

Stage 1 of operation Potato Tire!

Romain chugging along

Hornet carrying a inchworm!
I'd like to live beneath the dirt
A tiny space to move and breathe
Is all that I would ever need

I wanna live beneath the dirt
Where I'd be free from push and shove
Like all those swarming up above

Beneath their heels I'll spend my time
I'll wriggle in the earth and dew
And sometimes I will think of you

And if you ever think of me
Kneel down and kiss the earth
And show me what this thought is worth
"Dirt"
By Phish
(Trey Anastasio)
For: you know who you are. :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate feedback! Thank you for reading!

~Big Dave!