Thursday, May 10, 2012

Hit the ground running!

Before weeding the potato row
I am back on the farm and it seems like the garden has been taken over by weeds... so, I am in the process of taking it back with my hands, fingers, and my trusty ho! (Garden Ho that is) This will take some time, but this afternoon I had already cleared out the potato bed, half of the tomatoes (accidentally killed one with my ho...bummer)  and leek area. Still have the corn, watermelon, cantaloupe, radish and lettuce beds to take care of though... ugg!

After weeding the potato row
Size difference between a Rhode Island Red and Cornish Hen!
 The Potato box I made is covered with new sprouts of potato plants! (probably too many) but from what I understand, when you grow them yourself, they never get as big as they do on a "real" farm, so I'm not too incredibly worried... yet.

I was only gone for 6 days but the Chicks have grown so much since I have been away. The Cornish Hens are looking huge and are double at least the size of the Rhodie's and Orpingtons. In the next week or so, I am going to have to probably transport them to the chicken coop, because they are outgrowing their brood box!

Growing more by the day!
Potato Box doing AWESOME!
On a really sad note, one of the Rhode Island Reds (Named Vendetta) unfortunately died of natural causes while I was away, it was a true bummer it being one of the ones we had named, but at the end of the day  the rest of the chicks are looking healthy as ever and I hope the rest will do better!

Before weeding the Tomato's
After weeding the Tomato's!
My other ladies!
I will have another post soon, but for now I am just relaxing and settling back in. I apologize if I did not not get to see you this past trip to Virginia Beach, It was way short and I just ran out of time to go visit everyone. Next time to hopefully not break any hearts,  I will be doing a open house thing, instead of trying to run around and see everyone. Running around, I always spent more time than allotted at each friends house, so I short changed some, and shafted out others all together and for that I truly do apologize, I knew it was such a short trip, I really didn't even tell anyone I was coming home. And for my clients, I definitely missed all of you, again, I just didn't have time while I was home to do massage, even though it would have been truly nice to reconnect with all of you. Please don't hate me if I didn't get the chance to see you! I will be back mid June and I will take extra time at home to make sure to connect with my friends with plenty of time. And If I shafted you out of a visit this time, I promise to spend real quality time with you next month! :)






Before re-tilling the back half of the garden...

After starting the process of reclaiming the back half of the garden!

Random Humming Bird on the deck!

Planted some trees today! (more like twigs)




No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate feedback! Thank you for reading!

~Big Dave!