Thursday, May 31, 2012

The next project GOAT BARN!

Step 1- create a wall from your head
This is the next phase in getting this place to really resemble a farm! Not sure if we will end up getting goats or not, but I know it will happen eventually so I decided to start building their home. You never know when that cute lil' baby goat is offered to you for cheap or even better, free... need a place to keep it if those adorable little faces beg you to take them home.

Step 2- create a duplicate wall
Step 3- nail them together at the space you want apart
So, I looked around and calculated what I could make with the wood on site so we can save as much money as possible. So far, it looks like I will need to buy a whopping 3 pieces of wood for some roof support, other than that I believe we have enough materials (including pieces of metal roof I found on the wood pile) to complete their brand spanking new home! With the chicken coop, I raised the foundation and also created a pretty sturdy floor. Goats are a lot easier to house, they just want three walls and a roof. I am doing one better, giving them four walls and a roof with a big open door. So yeah, that's what I have been doing. I got the frame completed and also put the siding up on the sides where the roof slants off (cause they are a pain to cut right). All in all, this project is going much smoother than the coop did, mostly because it doesn't have a floor and it is smaller, but at the end of the day, I believe it is because my carpentry skills are getting better, I mean, it is square, which was a lot easier to do this time around. So, here is a photo story of where I began, to where I am now, including a nice little side section where I tried to be "Heman" and hurt myself... again, I am good at doing that kind of stuff.
Step 4- Have Cheyenne sit inside the lil goat house for size gauging


Step 5- Reinforce like crazy, and make as sturdy as possible
Step 6- Add the siding that is a pain in the butt to do out in the field.
Step 7- Don't call on your neighbors for help and try to move it by yourself
Step 8- fall down and hurt yourself on the way out to the field.
Step 9 and 10- Document your "injuries". The worst injury your not going to see... but imagine someone taking an ugly 2x4 and hitting you as hard as they can across your lap, leaving you with the BIGGEST bruise in a weird place... yeah, it hurt, these leg "injuries" are nothing compared to that!
This is where one of the foundation boards landed on my ankle, the weight of the structure created a nice line bruise and cut in the shape of a 2x4. Best part was I took my phone out of my pocket (because I did not want to damage it by the wood that was across my lap when dragging it out)... so if my ankle broke and the structure got stuck on there, it could have been up to two days until my roomie came back to town to find me! Talk about adrenaline, the thing weighs over 200 pounds easy, it lands on my ankle, and I pull it off with no problem while laying on the ground. (but it was hard to lift to just pick up standing bending with the knees... when the adrenaline wasn't pumping!!) Other than some hurt pride and some big ol' bruises, I am alright. :)

Secret ingredient... TOMATO! (and a pepper I ate during the prepping...lol)
The other night, I watched too much Iron Chef and decided to try to make dinner using the secret ingredient of "Tomato's" from the garden to make a meal... well, it turned out I only used them as a topping to my chicken dish... but it still was really yummy in the end, so I am not complaining and deemed it good enough to take photos of my process... in other words, I was bored.


Big Dave's "other" secret ingredients... thank the Lord you can't read the labels! :P
Prepped and ready for the grill!
Coming off the grill... look at those tomato's oozing flavor into the chicken!
Finished product. Tomato Chicken on a bed of Rice and cubed potato's from the garden. Your seeing it right, 2 starches and 1 protein.. What? I'm IRISH!
The super glue really worked on the cut on my Thumb from the other week. The glue is all off now and I really cant even see much of a scar anymore either, the only evidence is a small depression where I pulled the dead skin from. So, again... Super Glue for cuts does actually work!

Barely even see the cut anymore!
Hoo-ray for Superglue!
OPOSSUM Eating a RAT! That was my surprise when letting the dogs out one last time for the evening! (I turned out all the outside lights, so I could see the stars really well... joke was on me! That thing scared the crap out of me! And the dogs went bonkers)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate feedback! Thank you for reading!

~Big Dave!