Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Drive!

This was Cheyenne for most of the trip!

My Co-Pilot making sure I am awake!
 It was a long journey, 17 hours of non stop driving through hills will take a smile off anyone's face, but finally got in and am now trying to decompress and get back to normalcy.


Cheyenne was a great co-pilot and companion for the trip, even when I went long periods in-between breaks, after a quick game of chuck-it she was always more than ready to get back in the truck and go for another ride. When the road started getting hypnotizing she would almost instinctively check on me and give my right ear a lick or two to make sure I wasn't dozing off or anything.










Entering West VA

Tried chasing the sunset





 The drive was really scenic. I took the north route through I64 instead of going through Tennessee on I40 mostly because of the torrential down pours and string of tornadoes that were going through at the time. Lucky I did, even though it was more hilly, and cost more in gas probably, but I didn't have a drop of rain the second I left Hampton!



I watched the Sun come over as I drove and it eventually went ahead of me and set in the west. I tried keeping up as much as I could, but the Sun always wins in the end



At least it gave me some nice photos to take while going 70mph!! (Which I probably should not have done, but I had places to go, and did not want to be passed by every single person on the highway!)








Finally made it into Kentucky! Could be one of the longest states to drive through... it just seemed to go on forever!
Doing what Cheyenne does best (being cute!)





Crossing the Mississippi River

Driving into Missouri
Arkansas.... FINALLY

First Sunset from my new place of residence
The Next morning we hopped back into the truck, Cheyenne got a Rawhide for being so good! She pretty much passed out for a few hours after working on the bone for a good while. After a long while we finally crossed over the Mississippi River. This was my only issue with the trip. The bridge I WAS supposed to cross was out either from the storms or some poorly planned construction. So I had to take a 30 mile detour. :(

Second close encounter with wildlife (Frog) a snake was my first!
Clear to the bottom!
Even thoght the soil is rocky, life still emerges from it!
Once I crossed into Missouri I realized why they have so many tornado's. It is one FLAT state, and the highway I was on could have double for a runway strip for an imperial cruiser... it was over a 100 miles of driving with not the slightest of turns or bends. Kinda fun at first, especially checking out your alignment, but got real old real quick!


I hit Arkansas! This was near the end of my journey because the place I am living now is right on the Missouri line. (notice how the State welcome signs get less and less extravagant away from touristy areas?) I was really excited at this point, knowing I only had less than an hour left to go.

Finally arrived! Not much got done that first day, mostly just decompressing and calling friends and family telling them I made it in alright. The first night, I saw about 7 deer crossing a field on our neighbors property!

So far, I have seen on this property- 7 deer, 2 turkey (in the back yard), 1 snake, 1 frog, 3 lizards, many large birds of prey, and some little fur bearing creatures too. So, plenty of life lives around here, that is always a good sign! :)

Second Sunset over my awesome truck :)
Went down to the river in the side yard, was surprised to see it so calm and crystal clear! And for my Va Beach Friends... I think it is totally warmer than the bay already! So, check for the post on swimming after the first few real nice warm days here!!

One of the flower beds in the front yard is already starting to show signs of spring... so I will be reallllly busy soon!!! Stay tuned!


4 comments:

  1. Congrats to you & Cheyenne (from your vet).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am stoked you are reading this! :) Bayside Vet Clinic is the BEST!!!

      Delete
  2. Dave,
    Great commentary and pictures. Kim and I miss you and Cheyenee and its only been one week! No wine, no Dave! Let us know how the soil issue is doing - Aaron filled me in today. Take care. Ron & Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ron, Kim, and Gracie!

      Miss you guys too! The soil issues are pretty bad, I cant dig down at all without running into lots and lots and lots of rocks... so it'll be interesting on how I will tackle it. There will be a whole post on it I'm sure of it. Till next time!

      ~Big Dave!

      Delete

I always appreciate feedback! Thank you for reading!

~Big Dave!