Sunday, March 25, 2012

Laying the foundation of the coop

First failed attempt
Today, like I stated in the last post, was difficult. I went around the yard, looking for level areas to try to put the chicken coop on. I found one area that I thought was nice, but when I was leveling the blocks, it became obvious that I was going to have to dig down past part of the foundation and the bottom part of the coop on one corner to make it level. Well, that wasn't an option, so I decided to move it, this time, to another location that was a little bit more flat and less hilly. As seen in the pictures one side of it the blocks are buried to just a few inches above the ground, while the other side the blocks sit almost on top of the ground. But the key to the phrase of the day is that it is level!
Finally getting the hang of getting four corners level.

I know a few of my friends have worked with foundations before, and I'm sure I am screwing up somewhere (please don't tell me...lol) but, this i believe will be hopefully the last I lay (at least in rocky soil), I have new respect for guys and gals that do that for a living.

From here on out the coop blueprint is in my head!! :) Actually, I have like three blueprints and I plan on stealing little bits from each one, with my added genius, it should turn out to look just awesome and will hopefully not fall down in a year...lol.

Finally got the blocks set right
When I was contemplating on how to get the floor out to the work site, I was drawing a blank. But with the help of one of the farm owners I was able to lift the floor onto the truck bed and then drove it out to the work site and very carefully slid it out and laid it gently on the ground. No really, I did that... It hurt, my back is definitely tight, could really use a Chiropractor right now, but that really happened!! (Nods to Reinhold Chiropractic Group and all my buddies there) Lucky for me there is at least a inversion table here, so I can get some comfort till I can find a Chiropractor that is still in business around here.

This was a nice challenge!
Now that the floor is down I need to cover it, and then add my frame!! After framing, it is on to siding and then throwing a roof on it somehow. Should be fun, lots of pics I am sure to come! :)



Dont know how, but its square and level....wow
Look at those stylish boots!


Little Skink friend that kept me some company


Glad that is over with!


After i was done, relaxing on the tailgate, amazed.

Enjoying the sunset

4 comments:

  1. Big Dave,
    We miss you back here; BUT we love hearing about your adventures; snakes and scorpions - you are the man!!! Ran a great half marathon - within a minute of my 2006 best time - felt great. Suffered a little calf injury that I'm recovering from. Have Tyler running sub 8 minute quarters/halfs - he'll be ready for Marine Corps in the fall. One of my buddies bought a Fountain boat; so stand by for a super ride when you return. I'm back looking for farms, as I've been reading stuff that scares me!! Take care and keep writing - love the chicken coop!
    Ron & Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ron and Kim (and Gracie)!!

      I am stoked to hear that you are looking for farms again, the future looks bleak! Look through Colorado man, lets start a vineyard with Pinky! He would hop on board if its Colorado and might be able to get his dad on board too for expertise! I could be your general labor! Also, I am getting pretty good at this whole construction stuff too! Ill build Kim a chicken retirement home! Think about it buddy. :)

      So.. a fountain boat huh? Those things are fast and beautiful! Would definitely love a ride! :)

      Delete

I always appreciate feedback! Thank you for reading!

~Big Dave!