Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Old Fashioned Barn Raising!

Morning Fog
As I stated in a previous post, I made the front wall of the chicken coop in the barn because it was raining and I wanted something to do. Thing with that though is that every time you add a piece of wood, you add weight, and next thing you know, the wall weighs a ton. So, this time, instead of wrecking my back and doing it mostly by myself, I called on my good neighbors, (Chad and his dad Ray, you will hear a lot about these guys... and Chads wife Andy.. all real good people) and literally we had a good old fashioned barn raising.. or I should say, coop raising.  (the only part I don't have a picture of!!) It was great, everything went in good, and we had the wall up in a matter of minutes.

Friendly hello from neighbors
The previous day, the same neighbors showed up unexpectedly, showing off their new horse and buggy they got off some Amish people... the horse only cost my neighbor (Chad) $100!! I told them if they hear about any cows going for that price to let me know about it! But yeah, I am pretty sure you have never had this show up in your driveway before!
Working

Working
Slacking off
Putting in the window!

After the neighbors left, I worked until I couldn't see the nail I was trying to hammer. I was filled with so much energy after I saw the coop take shape today, that if the sun stayed up, it might almost be done! But, alas the sun did go down, so I retired to the barn to work on getting the hinges and hardware on the door and the other window for the coop. That is when my night got real interesting.
Watching the sun set trying to still work


****VIEWER DISCRETION ADVISED**** (talking about dead snakes and some pics of skins) 

2 Copperhead Snake Skins
As I was shutting the barns sliding gate doors, I was calling for my dog to come inside the barn. She wouldn't come inside, lately this has been almost the norm because she loves being outside so much. but tonight felt different, almost like she was afraid to come inside. Then, I looked down. Right where I walked by just two minutes before that was this nice venomous little copper head. My heart started racing! I have seen them in the wild before, same with water moccasins, but never on my property. Well, there is a 2 year old child, and three dogs, so, I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I killed it. Now, most people who know me personally know that i don't kill anything, I am a lover of everything and I generally like snakes. But I had to think about the dogs and the child. I also believe that you should eat what you kill. With that being said, after I chopped the head off the thing, I went inside and Googled all sorts of stuff about skinning and eating snakes. Went back out did the deed, gutted, and skinned and stretched the skin, and as I was putting the meat into a bag, and was shutting the doors up to the barn... there was ANOTHER copper head.. this one was bigger! So, MOTH balls tomorrow all around property!! As for tomorrow night, I am making a bonfire, and yes, I will try snake... no guarantees, but hey, I will at least try and eat my first processed game since I got here! So.... anyone wanna buy some snake skin?!?!?!?
Note to self: Don't run into fixed objects

Sunset with the Moon, Jupiter, and Venus
Yep, today was a really full day. I had some personal issues in my life today, along with raising a chicken coop and lastly killed, skinned  and processed two venomous snakes! I think I am officially in the country!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate feedback! Thank you for reading!

~Big Dave!