Friday, March 16, 2012

Short Update!

Hey all, just wanted to jot down a few lines to catch you up to whats been happening on the "farm".

I plowed the garden I think 10 or 11 times total, if not more. Everytime I did, I found large rocks and small rocks and medium sized rocks, followed by more rocks. Good news is, that I have enough rocks now to make a pretty nice sized fire pit!! So, thats on the list of things to do. The soil is not great, like I said before, but I worked it as much as I could this year, and we will grow whatever decides to take root!
Lots and lots of seeds!

Speaking about growing... we have separated all the seeds and organized them by when to plant. Also we have planted Carrots, Radish's, six types of lettuce, a few beets, Broccoli, and Onion. I am planting Potatoes either today or tomorrow, I was going to do that the other day, but apparently you need to let your potato skins harden a bit after you cut them into cubes for starting the plant. Also, need to put the pea's in too.

I have been looking around for fence and investigating different fence types for the garden area and also the peremeter of the yard. The garden fence is right around 300 feet!! Yep, I have a big garden!! I will post the types of fence when I get them in the next few days.

Humble beginnings of a chicken coop
Went to Habitat for Humanity store yesterday and bought some stuff for the chicken coop. This particular store takes old houses and breaks them down and resells the doors, windows, and different components of the house for pennies on the dollar. So, we went in and got a door, four drawers (for nest boxes) 2 windows, four screens, 2 light fixtures, 2 ceiling attic vents, some hinges and also an unrelated fling cabinet for the house... all for 72$$$ The door alone new would have cost over $100 bucks, so I say that shopping experience went very well! There is a huge stack of wood outside that was correctly stored and separated, so the only wood we need to get is some 2x4's for the framing part, then I am ready to start construction on the coop!!

Wahhoo! The next few weeks will be busy with installing the fence, and building the chicken coop along with more planting of the garden. While we have the Auger for the fence posts, I am also going to dig the holes for the fruit and nut trees they are putting in. So yeah, I will be a busy bee once the materials start flowing in!

Till then! Enjoy more pics of sunsets! :P
Yet another awesome sunset!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate feedback! Thank you for reading!

~Big Dave!