Sunday, July 29, 2012

Auction and County Fair

The Auction results after I was through with it....
"Big" Dave went shopping yesterday.... Auction style. I went to an auction today where a pawnshop/restaurant/general store went out of business and auctioned off the stores contents... basically the dream auction! And people knew it too, the parking lot was completely full attracting business owners and restaurant runners to the common folk just looking for a deal. I waded through the crowd and checked out the lots of goods to be auctioned away. I went through the auction catalog and tagged with a side note on the lots I was interested in getting.

Lucky for me they started off with the small items, tools, wrenches, pawned goods. People started bidding high and had bidding wars going on and driving up the prices on the crappy stuff. It was awesome, because I wasnt in the market for that stuff today and these good people were spending their money... fast. By the time the second table came around, people already started to conserve their money and bid more wisely. That is where I stepped in. The auction had slowed to a drag as they were auctioning off old DVD players for 5 bucks a piece, then they reached down and grabbed two night-vision hunting tree mounted cameras. You install these on tress, and wild game (or unwanted people on your property) walk by them and get caught on camera! No one was paying attention it seemed and I only had one guy bidding against me and he hightailed it after I said $50... for both. These guys retail for $100-450 online, I got two for $50. I know they are old, but they were just too cool to let walk away.

About twenty minutes go by and they get to a table where they have some fishing supplies. I look for the items that have the biggest bang for their buck. Bobbers. I now own over 130 bobbers. At over a buck a piece retail, I made a killing snagging them all as a lot for only $15. So, need a few bobbers? Ill set ya up for a small but very reasonable and down right steal of a deal...fee!  :P

It got to the table with guns, compound bows, and knifes. Because of the large selection I opted to try to snag a new firearm for the cheap. I was at an auction where I snoozed and didnt even check out the firearms table, and the guns were going for under a $100 each time, my mouth dropped and I swore then and there Ill always sign up for the background check for all future auctions so I never miss out on that again. Only problem is, the gun brokers also showed up today. Some guns ended up going for over ratail prices. Then this Mossberg 12 guage comes up, brand new never shot before and the auction stalls out at 190, so I chime in 200 and no one raised me! I was so excited that I jst scored a Mossberg for only $200 bucks, but then the realization came later on when I learned its a Maverick by Mossberg. Its still a Mossberg, but its not built to the Mossberg standards, and some pieces are made out of the states. So the value isnt as high. Where as the Mossberg 500 12 Guage retails for over $500 new, my Maverick Mossburg 12 Gauge retails for around $250-$350 pending on where you look, So I still got a heck of a deal, just not as great of one as I was hoping. Still cool, and every review online about it were ALL five stars on the product... rare to see that, so im stoked!

Next up was a counter top bundle of items they sold. The lot I won was a bundle of 62 Chapstics, 84 Rolling Papers, 90 Bic Lighters, and 128 BC Powder packets. Snagged it for $60, couldn't pass it up.














Then came Lot 96, which was a ice chest full of 9mm ammo for my handgun (800 Rounds total) and also 26 Gun locks. I grabbed it all for $80. Retail for the ammo is $24.99 per 50 Round box, I got sixteen of those boxes... and also the 26 gun locks.... SCORE!
















My Energy Drink Collection. Im gonna pee green soon! lol
Last but not least, I was gearing up to head back home and decided to see what some of the Retail "drink" lots would go for. This was towards the end of the auction, most people had left, most of the remaining people that were left were waiting for the cigarette lots to come up (they were the last lots... but for the people who smoke ... that's the way to get your cancer stick fix cheap... the few lots I overheard were selling like 12 cartons of Marlborough going for 120 bucks... I don't smoke, but I know that is a steal!) But I didn't care, I was into getting some cheap drinks! The fist seven of the drink lots were all soda lots, and they went for around 40-50 bucks each lot. The they get to the last two lots, one was an energy drink lot, and the other was a juice lot... everyone who knows me knows I love juice. So I was buiding for that lot. Well, again, they bundled the lots together, and apparently no one likes redbull out here because I got (this is a list)
Bleehhh- The soda, too much soda!
21- Monster Energy Drinks
22 Regular Red Bulls
13- 20 oz Red Bulls
15 NOS energy Drinks
26 RIP IT energy Drinks
38- Bottles of fruit Juice
14- Lipton Ice Teas
10- Vita waters
15- Power aides
14- 32oz Gatorades
120+ 20oz-1liter Sodas of different flavors
24- bottles of Auquafina
12- bottles of off brand H2O
Fruit Juices and Gatoraids
58- Bottles of what I would call "kids sugary crappy fruit drinks"
24- Cans of Soda
(Plus a plethora I already gave away)

Soda, Tea and water
That is over $650 worth of drinks if I were to buy it retail... but I didnt. I got bid up to $25 dollars, and no one raised me. However, the auction house charged me $35, but I didnt raise a fuss... because really?!? Ill eat the $10 knowing that after tallying everything up I walked away with $2,095 give or take a few bucks worth of retail goods, and paid only $440 bucks for it all. Considering the gun itself is worth around $300... I think I STOLE a little piece of Arkansas today, for REAL CHEAP!

1- Stocked fridge

Sugar drinks




















I thought my day was over. Then my neighbor called, said come on out with us to the county fair... I thought, Why not. I could use the walk. Let me start off by saying this was the last night of the fair after three days of running, I was expecting it to be packed, especially since one of the days had a rainless thunderstorm that closed it down early. Then, once again, I had to realize I'm in the country, the people here live within their means, and people generally don't come out of their property...lol.So it was fun walking around a pretty empty fairground. If you wanted to ride a ride, you got the whole ride to yourself, and the ride operators would just let the ride go on, sometimes it seemed like forever waiting for the kids to ride the thing, but it was good time for quiet conversation with my friends without the kids always coming in and asking questions or screaming... so that was cool. The Fair was everything I thought a small county fair should be... Every kid who participated got a ribbon, the 4-H exhibits were everywhere, I actually witnessed a Hen laying an egg, then the egg fell through the wire bottom of the cage and busted all over the ground. I was sad, I would have totally stole that and had one of my hens hatch it! There was an area where people were showing off the new tractors and 4-wheelers on the market. Joe Dirt manned the half broken Ferris-wheel, another escaped convict worked the merry-go-round. Every single one of the rides looked like they were about to fall apart, or was missing some pieces I personally would consider integral to have, but somehow they still functioned. Paint pealing everywhere, folded over thin sharp sheet metal protruding from the rides, the park was so empty EVERY SINGLE ONE of the carny people tried so hard for you to play their stupid games. Me, I was there for the food, and check out all the different farm animals. I ate a hamburger AND a pork sandwich.. both were horrible, but ohh so good at the same time. :P Overall, it was exactly how I pictured the Fair in my head, and I wouldn't have changed a thing!

Did I mention it was EMPTY
Threw my neighbors in the shot to get the impression that it's busy...lol
Hey look, only half the lights work!
Looks cool huh?
Sunset over the fairground
Friendly Frog

2 comments:

  1. I got one word for all the goodies you got: WOW. Man, you got a looooot of great stuff. Those countertop stuff were a steal. And yeah, you'd be hyper for a long time with all those energy drinks. This inspired me to look for an auction at this very minute. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I could get someone else turned on to the Auction Bug! They are fun and a true blast!

      Free pointers- If there is 5 of something, bid hard on the first one... the other four will go for twice that amount. Also, at the beginning of the auction, bid sparingly, cause people get real giddy right out the bunker and will bid high, and over pay on stuff... be patient, those people will spend their money in the first ten minutes, then stuff goes real cheap! I hope you have a blast at your next auction! Thanks for reading! :) ~Big Dave!

      Delete

I always appreciate feedback! Thank you for reading!

~Big Dave!