Sunday, July 1, 2012

A special thanks to my five Cornish Hens

~~~** This is not the post on Slaughtering my chickens, this is just a little thank you to some of my friends here on the farm. **~~~


Today was the big day for my Cornish hens. I have been putting it off, trying to find excuses to keep them around. Economically speaking, and also due to the fact they are supposedly guaranteed to die from either heart attack or leg failure if you don't butcher them after they reach a certain age, I had to let go of my friends and turn them into hopefully four delicious meals! After losing the one to a heart attack last week, I knew it was time so I manned up and did it.

In the next two or three post's I will put up two video slideshow versions (one PG, one R) of the process of slaughtering, plucking, gutting etc... They will be the only thing in that particular post, so feel free to skip it if that is not something you want to bear witness to.

Once again, I can't say this enough, but these guys were the friendliest creatures on our farm, and I thank them for the friendship they gave me, and now I thank them for the meat they are giving me.  


Looking really cute as little fluffs of fur chirping about
My friends at just two days old!
Amazing they once sat on a single finger, and their claw only wrapped a little bit around it

Finally able to tell what breed is what!

My lil' babies grew up so fast!

I will not miss feeding their unquenchable appetite!

Sitting around gossiping all day long. What else do girls do in great numbers?

Doing what Chickens do best... EAT

First day of moving to new house, and of course went straight for the food!

First time ever on the real worlds earth since birth! Most Chickens in America will never feel the dirt beneath their feet in their entire lifespan. That is just horrible! But not my chicks! FREE RANGE BABY!!

Not sure what to do with their new found freedom!

Amazing how it went from a chic, to a toddler, to a full grown hen before my eyes!

Ah yes, before the 103 degree days of summer! (Life was better back then..lol)

Eat eat eat eat eat...

Holding one of the more friendly ones

At night, the fat Cornish hens wouldn't perch, just laid on the cool ground

Can ya spot the Rhodey?

We had a Cornish Hen named Spot when she had her baby coat, obviously once the feathers grew out, the spot on her head disappeared... imagine that, so this guy, being the friendliest of the Cornishes gets the name "Spot" back in my book.

I call him a guy, because, well, he was. Turned out this was no Hen! And he was THE MOST FRIENDLY CHICKEN I EVER MET!

The lady next to Spot is the runner up for most friendly chicken

Russel Crow hanging out with my lady hen



Take a bow friend, your show is over, exit stage left.

One last hug with a buddy that I will truly miss. He is now in the fridge, ready to be honored with a never frozen true country fresh home-style meal, complete with potatoes and who knows what else I decide to cook tomorrow. 

I guarantee these Chickens had a happy, full (three weeks overdue on butchering according to the chicken supplier), and entertaining life. If I knew they wouldn't end up like the one that died last week from a heart attack or leg failure, I would have so said screw it and not have butchered them at all.

Thanks again you four for being great company, great friends, great entertainment, great fun, and hopefully soon, great meat! I will miss you guys!! I truly had a blast raising you, and believe it or not, I am really sad to have you no longer with me.

Thanks again friends! I will miss you! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate feedback! Thank you for reading!

~Big Dave!