Saturday, July 21, 2012

Its my Birthday! :)


Today I turned 29! I know, I know... im so young, just a baby... blah blah blah. I am sure Ill miss those comments one day... but not today...lol.

Hanging with my Buddy Stitch
As I went to bed last night I was really feeling down... and no its not because I am getting older... that doesn't bother me. I searched and searched and searched EVERYWHERE for Stitch the Chicken, but I couldn't find her. I went to bed completely bummed out thinking it got caught by a hawk or raccoon... I was like REALLY? On the eve of my birthday, the last Chicken that is nice to me and likes me goes and dies!?!? Bummed out I went to bed and eventually got to sleep.

But..... when I woke up this morning there was Stitch! Waiting by the chicken coop door so she could get her grub on! Last night I looked under the coop, in the trees, between the cylinder blocks, around the trunks of trees, inside the goat house, the play house, the garden, the high grass, the pile of sticks... only explanation I have is.... Aliens.    Gotta be! :P They obviously abducted her as a practical joke on me for my birthday and then decided to give her back this morning to make me happy again.

(I think she likes me)
Seriously, I have no idea where she was hiding, I spent over a half hour looking for her last night. Well, I am just glad to have her back. Never thought I would get so attached to a stupid chicken, but I brought this chick back from death, and I still feel bad for dispatching my Cornish hens, and I am not ready to lose anymore. They are my buddies, and Stitch is my Favorite (after Spot of course... and he was delicious..lol)!

So yeah, woke up to happiness again... now that this story is out of the way... here are some things going on in the farm to give y'all a little update on my life as of late.

FINALLY Goats starting to use the toys.. without the help of a food motivator




Over 50 feet away, .22 Caliber rifle, no scope. Multiple hits on target, and two on the rope... but probably 30 rounds missed..by a hair....lol

Stitch hanging with me in the workshop

Even through all this heat and drought... life still emerges. Albeit only lasted a day, then died. lol.
 Went to Mammoth Spring State park, and decided to feed the birds and also check out the old power station and waterfall.. along with where my river originates from! At the spring head, it gushes out at 9 million gallons an hour! It is the ninth largest natural spring in the world!! Here are some shots of the birds going nuts over a little bit of dried corn. It was very "John Woo" (Movie Director). The power plant built in 1927 is not in use anymore, but used to supply the power for the entire region, now it is just a memory of time.
Man... I so wish I could fly. That... would be awesome!

Happy feet...

Hello... feed me!!!

I love getting birds in flight, think they are sick pics.

HI! Get my good side.... HOOONK

If this isn't out of a scene from a John Woo movie.. I don't know what is!

They ate every last bit of corn.

The power house building, right over the falls.

The Original control panel to direct the power

The Hydro-generator

 I went and got some BBQ at a local eatery. My Grandpa has this exact same poster in his kitchen, been looking at it since I was probably the age of the kids in the picture (at one time I thought it was my Brother and me, back when I was a kid and didn't realize there was such things like posters)
As a kid I would (and still do kinda) crack up at this poster. was stoked to find it outside of my grandpas house! The poster reads "You Been Farming Long?"

Went and visited a friends farm operation. He has 2 goats 2 cows, 45 chickens and 30 acres!

Ingenious way to water his chickens, he makes them elevated with no drip pan, just a hamster nozzle on bottom

This way, you can go longer in between water changes, and the system costs only like 6 dollars in parts... versus 35 for the water trough I have. Live and learn.

So, more baby Chicks were found in a nest on the porch. Some idiot that was over visiting the house stuck his hand on the nest.. haven't seen the mother bird since. So we might lose these babies. and that's just horrible.


Yup, it is another Arkansas Sunset


I had a great Birthday today, want to say Thank you for all of the well wishes from all the friends and family that took time out of their day to send me happy wishes! It is always nice to know I am being thought of. Thanks again to all of you and know I think about each and everyone of you often!! :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I always appreciate feedback! Thank you for reading!

~Big Dave!